A St Patricks day treat! Traditional Colcannon served with good quality pork sausages and a gravy made with Guinness & Caramelised Red Onion Chutney.
8 quality Irish Pork Sausages
800g Potatoes, peeled & chopped
½ Savoy Cabbage, sliced
50g pack Crispy Bacon Rashers, chopped
50ml Single Cream
Salt & Pepper
¼ can Guinness
½ jar Shaws Caramelised Red Onion Chutney
1. Boil the potatoes in a pan until softened, drain & mash with the cream, salt, pepper & pinch of nutmeg.
2. Meanwhile in another pan, on a medium heat, add a little oil & the butter then cook the cabbage until softened. Add this and the bacon to the mashed potatoes and stir though.
4. Cook the sausages in a frying pan for the time stated on the packet.
5. Once cooked, pour over the Guinness and allow to bubble for a minute or two, remove the sausages to a plate and add the Caramelised Red Onion Chutney to the slightly reduced Guinness, stir until well combined and allow to boil for another 2 minutes.
6. Arrange the Colcannon potatoes and sausages on a plate & pour over the gravy.
Dips for tortilla chips Try a layer of chutney on your grilled snack Use as a glaze over meat and fish Add to your sandwich filling
You can grab a jar of Caramelised Red Onion Chutney from any of the retailers in the list below.