These light & cheesy scones are classically British and delicious. Try out our yummy fillings.
Serves approx. 10-12
250g Self Raising Flour
1 pinch of Salt
½ tsp Baking Powder
60g Butter, really cold
125g Cheddar Cheese, grated
½ tsp Mustard Powder (optional)
150ml Milk (approx.)
¼ tsp Onion Seeds (optional)
For the Coronation Chicken:
60-90g Cooked Chicken, shredded
2-3 tbsp Mayonnaise
2 tbsp Shaws Chunky Mango Chutney
1 tsp Mild Curry Powder
1 tbsp Sultanas
Pinch of Onion Seeds (optional)
For the Egg filling:
2 Eggs, hard boiled and cooled
1 tbsp Mayonnaise
1 tbsp Shaws Mighty American Style Relish
For the "Cream & Jam" filling:
40-60g Cream Cheese
3-4 tsp Shaws Devilish Tomato & Chilli Relish
1. Pre-heat the oven to 210°C / Fan 190°C / Gas 7
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
3. Add the cold butter, cut into small pieces, to the flour and using your fingertips carefully rub into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Add the salt, cheese, mustard and onion seeds (if using) and mix together.
5. In a jug blend the egg and milk together.
6. Make a well in the center and pour a little of the egg/milk mix and stir with a table knife, continue to add the liquid until a dough has formed, you don't want it to be too sticky so you may not need all this mix (save it for brushing over the finished scones).
7. Dust your work-surface with a little flour and place the dough on it. Press or roll out to about 1½cm thickness. Using a cookie cutter cut discs and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with egg/milk before baking in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
8. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
1. In a bowl mix the mayonnaise, mango chutney, curry powder, sultanas and onion seeds (if using).
2. Add the shredded chicken and blend together well.
1. Blend the mayonnaise and American Style Relish in a bowl.
2. Chop the boiled eggs and blend with the mayo mix.
"Cream & Jam" filling:
1. Spread the base with cream cheese and top with Tomato & Chilli "jam" Relish.
Dips for tortilla chips Try a layer of chutney on your grilled snack Use as a glaze over meat and fish Add to your sandwich filling
You can grab a jar of Devilish Tomato & Chilli Relish from any of the retailers in the list below.